Thursday, November 22, 2012

In The Aftermath of the CTN....


Pencils were thrown asunder... artists came and went... but the massive monolith of the hotel still stood... as the palm trees swayed in the faint breeze...

Okay, so it wasn't THAT dramatic, but for a guy like me, who had never gone to LA before, let alone to a convention, LET ALONE on a PLANE, let's just say things were a bit more life-changing than most.

And what did I think?  Oh boy, what didn't I think would be an easier answer!

Over the next few posts I'll be recounting what happened on this great trip.  Now, I bet you have no idea what I'm talking about.  So, let me recap!

Also, if you have no idea what this CTN thing is, I'd suggest looking at this: http://www.ctnanimationexpo.com/  Prepare to have your mind blown, just saying.

-Edinboro University, if you didn't know, has a fantastic animation program, and I've been enrolled in it for four years, this semester will be my last.  I've made brilliant friends with both the professors and my peers, but I wasn't exactly sure how to approach that faraway thing called LA, which had much of the animation world contained mostly in an even smaller place in LA.

-Luckily, the CTN project was started, by Mike Genz and Jordan Koch.  Together they tested the waters, and found not only a fantastic environment of creativity and friendship, but also an essential experience for n00bs like me.

-After the selection process was finished, the group was picked, and since then, constant planning for the hotel rooms, CTN passes, rent-a-car preparations, studio visits, SGA meetings, and portfolio maintenance were occuring over top of each other right up until the final days leading to the trip in November.

Since the CTN, I've felt different.  In a darn good way.  I have a much better idea of how to present myself and my work, and how to focus more exactly on what I want to do in the film and television industries, and how the work needs to differ, and I had an unforgetable time with my friends from Edinboro University.

So for people interested in a view of LA's CTN and it's amazing animation studios, be sure to pop in for some words and some photos!  Thanks!

PS:  Oh yeah, and I caricatured Andreas Deja, and Tom and Tony Bancroft.  If you don't know who these amazing men are, YOU NEED TO, IMMEDIATELY.



These guys of course have blogs, so please stop by theirs, a whirlwind of experience awaits you!

Andreas Deja's blog:  http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/

Tom Bancroft's blog: http://tombancroft.blogspot.com/

Tony Bancroft's blog/website: http://www.tonybancroft.com/home.php

The biggest thing I got from these guys were how unbelievably humble they were about their own characters and artwork, and this translated to all of the other artists I met. It's a really loving and creative environment. So again, feel free to stop by and look at some experiences! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment